Sunday, January 4, 2009

And the first post of the new year is....

So I survive ringing in the new year. No parties this year. Instead I worked at the only convenience store crazy enough to stay open that night. It was insane. But after a lot of sleep I was able to get a lot done. I finished enlarging the gussets on my hubbie's blue tunic. It also has split triangle gores at the sides.

Here is a close up of the neckline. Steve handed me an old red tablecloth and said can this go on it. Very viking. The blue is navy flannel from Joanns at $2.50 a yard and the trim I have had around for a few years.

I also took some pictures of my full chemise with the lace collar. there is no ruffle on the cuffs and the neck stays open cuz I like it that way. Thin white cotton muslin from Walmart $1 a yard. Lace from an old dress shop that used to be on Center street in Provo. Bought 20 yards for maybe $3.

And some pictures of my pink corset with the red binding. I used wide plastic zip ties from the Home Depot as boning and canvas as the lining and interlining. Straight all around boning channels that took half a lifetime to sew and then the other half a lifetime to bind. I usually don't mind being a big girl. This made me want to diet big time. My petticoat and an apron are made from the same pink fabric. This fabric was a major find. Clearance table 12 years ago. Made it into a large canopy drape over the baby's crib. Took it down and used it to cover tables for displays. Took a class on Roman garb a few years back and thought this would work, made matching stola's for me and my daughter. The fabric was too stiff and uncomfortable so it sat for a bit more. Decided to make an outfit from stash fabric and out it came again. Made the corset, petticoat and apron and still have enough left over to play with. The ultimate fabric that keeps on giving. All eyelets are handstitched around metal rings. Use stainless steel so you don't cry when they rust through.

I made a black kirtle for Coronation this year. I love the fit both with and without my corset. It is very comfortable. Used the same pattern as the corset and added straps. Double pleated the skirt which was tricky because I had to have the pleats in back unfold as a placket for the side back lacing on the bodice. Funny thing is the corset was too big and the kirtle was almost too tight but made from the same pattern. Lined just the bodice. Super secret for friends only..... the black linen is that horrible sequined glitter rainbow butterflies stuff Joanns sold a couple summers ago and I just flipped it and used the back. Yep there are crazy butterflies flying around the inside of my skirt. The only thing I would change is the bottom front of the straps is too narrow. I will fix it on the brown kirtle I am working on. I still have to cover the eyelets on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment