So one of the shortest lists in my life is my list of awards I have received in the 12 years I have been in the SCA. Up until yesterday it had only two, my AOA and my DUCK. Well the list got a bit longer yesterday at 12th Night in Gryphon's Lair. I received my Golden Maple Leaf, a very cool arts and sciences award, from the coolest king and queen in the world. I have disliked how short the list is but not being someone who does things just to get an award and deathly afraid of appearing to be a buttkisser what could I do about it? I have done my best to notice those around me in the same situation and mention the problem to certain adorable brass hats I know. (As well as griping to my best friends about it.) Folks please please send letters to your royalty about your friends and other people you notice doing cool things. The letters don't have to be long or brilliant and if you want help grab your seneschal or ask your friendly neighborhood baron or baroness, show them what it looks like so far and ask for feedback. At the very least recognize the person yourself, mention how cool such and such was, send a thank you card to a seneschal or autocrat after a particularly enjoyable event, or invite them to teach your guild or local area a class. This ends the soapbox portion of my blog, please save your applause for the end of the show.
I have been working on the getting ready for Estrella non sewing list.
- Ask for time off work. Done
- Beg grandma to take your kids for a week. Insert happy dance image. Done
- Preregister for Estrella ($135 including parking fee) Done
- Beg cool people to let you camp with them. Done
- Beg amazing cooks to feed you ($12 a day per person and shrimp, steak and roasted chicken are included on the menu, I am drooling already) Done
- Get a friend to share a table at the Arts and Sciences display. I luv you B and Ash. Done
- Sign up to teach a class. (Garbing your SCA child) Done
- Research local motels along the route for some real rest and a hot shower.
- Call AAA and get additional coverage. Worth every penny, trust me.
- Tune up and fix car. Our axle joint is badly damaged and we need two tires. $200+
- Check tent and camping boxes to start supply shopping list.
- Check armour for any weak spots or problems.
- File taxes so there is shopping and emergency money.
- Renew SCA memberships that expire end of January. $60
- Get everything packed into the car and pray you don't forget anything.
I am sure I am forgetting a few things and I will add to the list but for now those are the important things. I included amounts to inspire fellow crazies to plan ahead because it is expensive. Getting your taxes filed early for that refund helps a lot and so does the recent cut in gas prices. I have saved enough from not spending $80 on a tank of gas lately to pay for all the crucial things to get us there and keep us alive. The tax refund will pay for the fun stuff. Classes cost a bit, and don't even get me started on the shopping. One month to go and I am cautiously optimistic. I can't wait to spend a week in Arizona getting into trouble with a few hundred friends.